Every day is hectic and the weeks fly by. You want to feed your family well, but you have no time to spend hours in the kitchen. How are you going to give your family healthy, tasty meals and avoid bringing home fast food for dinner?
Here are five meals that are quick and tasty for the whole family:
- Have a soup and salad or sandwich night. This can be anything from good old-fashioned tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich, to homemade lentil soup with a healthy salad of dark greens, tomato, sliced black olives and a sprinkling of cheese. You can use soup from the can, or throw together a quick homemade recipe, or even cook up a batch on the weekend for serving during the week. Sandwiches can be served on whole grain bread or rolls with a variety of veggies, meats, and cheeses. Salads are quick and easy to make and you can serve them with a simple oil and vinegar dressing or a side of dressing from a bottle.
- Make use of that crock pot that’s stuck in the back of your cupboard. Get the crock pot out in the morning, toss in some cubed beef, sliced potatoes and carrots, some onion and a bit of water or broth and you’ve got stew when you get home. You can also make soups, chili and other recipes in the crock pot – very convenient and easy. Here is a wonderful resource filled with 55 yummy meals for the family. I love my crockpot I used it all the time. I have at least one crock pot meal on my menu plan for the week, because there is always a day that I am running around with doctors appointments or school meetings that by the time I get home I can’t even think about what I want to make for dinner.
- Try a simple pasta dish. Everyone loves pasta and you can make a tasty, but easy pasta dish with by tossing any kind of pasta with your favorite sauce and maybe a sprinkle of cheese. Or try a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of basil. Serve with whole grain rolls and a quick salad and you’ve got a simple family-friendly meal.
- Stir fry a quick and healthy dinner. Buy pre-cut stir-fry vegetables at the grocery; add some chicken, shrimp or beef, a package of stir-fry seasoning and serve over rice. Use low sodium and no MSG seasonings for a healthier stir-fry. You can use any combination of vegetables and meat, or go meatless. Your family will love it.
- Enjoy breakfast for dinner. I love having breakfast for our dinner and even though it throws my little guy off, we all enjoy some breakfast food. Crack open some eggs and make a tasty omelet for the family. Serve with fresh sliced fruit and a side of toast. Or serve breakfast burritos and a side of healthy turkey bacon or sausage. Eating well doesn’t have to involve long recipes that take hours to complete. And eating quick doesn’t mean a run to the nearest fast food restaurant. Take advantage of the simple things that you know your family loves.
Satisfying, healthy and quick meals are at your fingertips with a bit of imagination. Don’t forget to let the kids help with preparing the food, setting the table or cleaning up. I use either of these as rewards for him to earn something, so keep that in mind the next time you need the table set.
If you want to be sure that your family enjoys wonderful, cooked from scratch feasts, save those for the weekend, or make them on the weekend and freeze them for use during the week. Your busy life isn’t a good excuse for eating fast food, but you’re not expected to produce culinary works of art everyday either.
I had to share this amazing find from Chungah at Damn Delicious.net. I will be perfectly honest I printed down at least 8 recipes from her post that looked amazing and easy.
Enjoy a simple meal with your family.
As a Special Needs Mom & Lifestyle Blogger, I am passionate about spreading awareness and acceptance for children with special needs, and to give others a glimpse into our life as a typical family with a little something special. I love to talk about fashion, travel, children activities, healthy lifestyles and more!